About Me

My photo
IMAGINATION IS THE EYE OF THE SOUL Joseph Joubert. I am a mother of four...I still remember the smile that refused to go away for weeks after our daughters birth. To have a little girl appear after three sons seemed such a miracle. I have always enjoyed My Doll World, sharing it with Lara when she was little. Today I design knitted outfits for miniature dolls and enjoy every minute of it. The fact that the outfits are removable is what makes it so special for me. Using ever finer threads has opened so many MINIATURE DESIGN opportunities.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Miniature Knitting Tips

The following three photographs show the difference between using smaller needles and finer thread.

 I used exactly the same pattern for both sizes. 
The difference beingt I used 1mm knitting needles and 70/2 Venne thread for the larger outfit.
For the smaller outfit I used .07mm knitting needles and Madeira Cotona No 80....

The end result was a 25% difference in size. 
The only subtle change I would make in the future would be to have 4 rows less on the sleeve length
for the Belly Button Babe.

This is what one has to take into account when changing needles and threads.

 I made one mistake in knitting the smaller outfit..... I added two extra rows which I then followed through on both the dress and petticoat instead of undoing the extra rows.


Venne 70/2  and Madeira Catona 80




3 comments:

  1. Gosh, all I can say is WOW!!!!! I am in awe of your talent!
    Do you make all your dolls or do you buy them?
    I just love all the small dolls you have featured in your posts!!!
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big difference Sharon! What thinner tread and smaller needles can do.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por el consejo. los faldones son maravillosos.

    ReplyDelete